Rockhampton, 09.09.2007 English

Hi everybody!

I am in Rockhampton for the moment. Few days ago, I left Cairns. I stayed there 1 day longer than planned, because I wanted to see the Great Barrier Reef. This is the best to do by snorkeling and diving, so I thought: NO FEAR, I AM GOING TO DIVE!!! I did a 1 day trip by boat. Around 10 am, they explained us how to dive and let us sign a contract that 'it was all at our risk'. 1 hour later, it was so far... We went till 15 meter under water and it was worth. I thought:'Don't worry, Rubes, everything is going to be fine... Just enjoy!' That is what I did, but was quite happy to be out of the water after the half an hour!!!:) Afterwards, I just did the snorkeling and we finished the day with a glass of champaign in the boat.:)

The day afterwards, I took the bus to Townsville. There was a lovely beach where I spent some time in the evening and then had the great idea to walk up a mountain... When I was on the top (I felt to be on top of the world!:) ), it was already dark and had to go back all the way with flip flops...:) That feeling of being on top of the world was gone very fast!:) It was not that nice, because I could hear a lot of animal noices as well... Snakes would not be that far away in the grass over there... It was a little scary to go back... But managed it!

The day afterwards, I continued my journey towards Brisbane and stopped in Mackay. If you would every be on the Australian Eastcoast: this is definitely NOT the place to visit. I arrived in the evening, had a discussion the whole evening with a Kiwi guy about Israel (!?) and next day I had some hours to discover this town before taking the bus to Rockhampton. After a 30 minutes walk, I felt bored (not much to see), so I decided to walk further 20 minutes to go to the beach. It was worth, because the beach was absolutely beautiful. I asked a local if I could walk in the sea with my feet... She said:"No worries, mate. There are no crocs in September!". So I enjoyed me walking with my feet in the sea... 20 minutes later I remarked so footsteps and the traces of a croc (!?) on the beach... Well, I jumped out of the water, cried 3 times 'f*ck' and ran as fast as I could where I was coming from!!!!

I had 1 day of in Rockhampton, Australia's beef capital. I remarked that the honey, that I was carrying with me, did not make it to Rockhampton... And was spread all over my clothes... So I had to do some washing... Afterwards, I visited the Rockhampton Zoo (again crocs... had now enough of crocs!:) ) and the Botanic Gardens. And how could I finish this day better than with a big hamburger in this Beef Capital??? According to a Kiwi that I met yesterday, there was a place where they served 'hamburgers as big as a cow'... Well I got such a thing for 5 dollars and I definitely am no longer hungry!!!!:) Will go to Hervey Bay tomorrow and do a trip to Fraser Island...

I met 2 Italian girls on my trip from Darwin to Cairns and the funny thing was that afterwards I met them 3 more times: in Cairns, Townsville and in Mackay. They will go to New Zealand as well and asked to share a van and travel together around... Can you imagine me traveling around with 2 Italian girls??? Definitely be fun, but I think it is better to take the bus!!!:)))) 2 is a little bit too much Italy...:)))) And in Cairns, I met an American girl of San Diego... We went out and will see her again in Brisbane. She is funny. Very American: very sure of herself but not so intelligent!:) Am invited to San Diego next year...:)

Take care, Rubes

No comments: