Auckland, 14.09.2007 English

Hello Kiwi's, half-Kiwi's (Nathalie!?) and non-Kiwi's!
I kiwi-ed yesterday my way to Kiwiland by plane.:) When I had to pass by the security control, there was a lady (It could have been my grandma), just in front of me and she had her beauty case in her hand luggage!? The poor grandma did not know that she was not allowed to take any liquids on board, so she lost half of her beauty case. It took 10 minutes before she got it all out. When she was passing by the metal detector afterwards, that thing was about to explore!? She was still wearing 15 rings, a belt with metal, etc. The security guy was totally annoyed and told us:"I am really sorry for this". The man behind me answered:"No worries mate, we are enjoying it!". I have to admit that it was funny. It was really not the lady you expect to have any terrorist connections. When it was finally my turn, the security guy asked me to take off my head. That lady found that it was 'pay back time', so she said to me:"There you go, you are not yet out of Australia!". But I got no tune in the detector, so it was easy for me to reply:"I don't think so, darling, New Zealand here I am!".:) But she was right: after arrival in Auckland, there were about 95% Aussies and Kiwi's in my plane who could pass like that. The remaining 5% was totally controlled. Had to open my backpack, get out my shoes for further inspection. Then there was a so called 'avocado' in my backpack. I had to look it up but did not know about an avocado. It turned out to be a piece of soap... That is how I got in contact with a Canadian girl. After we cried both 'YES' when we made it through the control, we started to laugh! I asked her how she was going to town. We decided to share a taxi (the only option) and that was good, because it was night fare. Saved 30 Kiwi-dollars!:) Today, I kiwi-ed around in Auckland. Visited e.g. the war memorial. I will leave tomorrow to the Bay of Islands. I wanted to stay 2 days in Auckland, but the town is not that big, so that makes me leaving tomorrow morning. Because a lot of you asked me what I am going to visit in Kiwi-land, I made following schedule (but it will be changed as I travel further)... 14/9: Auckland15-16/9: Bay of Islands17/9: To Rotorua18/9: Rotorua19/9: Taupo20/9: To Wellington21/9: Wellington22/9: To Picton by ferry and eventually further by train to Kaikoura (if possible)23/9: Kaikoura24/9: Kaikour to Christchurch25/9: Christchurch to Greymouth with the Transalpine (very famous train)26/9: Greymouth to Franz Jozef27/9: Glacier28/9: Franz Jozef to Queenstown29/9 - 1/10: 3 days Queenstown. Perhaps make a trip to Fiordland and will certainly do some extreme sports in Queenstown (thinking of sky diving... WAAAAUHHH!)2/10: Queenstown to Dunedin3/10: Dunedin to Tekapo4/10: Tekap to Christchurch5/10: THE END: LEAVING NEW ZEALAND!:( Now, I have to tell you, Aussies and Kiwi's, Germans and Belgians, French and Dutch, Italians and Luxembourgish, English and Israeli's, Latvians and Lithuanians (I hope I have all the nationalities this email is addressed to included in my mail now:) ) 1 thing: I am willing to answer all questions, except 1! That one will be:"Do you like New Zealand more than Australia, or do you like Australia more than New Zealand?". THAT QUESTION WILL NOT BE ANSWERED!:) Does someone know if New Zealand and Australia have the same company that produces their money??? Those notes and coins are so simular. I am always mixing them up! Nice greetings from Auckland! Ruben PS: I have no connection with my mobile. Vodafone Oz does not allow me to get Vodafone NZ. Bloody Vodafone!:)

No comments: