Hobart, 11.10.2007

Hi there,



After my stay in New Zealand, I needed to get used again to the fact that people here say ‘mate’ instead of ‘bro’.:) After having arrived on Friday, I went to the supermarket and all of a sudden, in the supermarket:”Hey Ruben”… I thought:”Who do I know in Hobart???”. Well, it was a woman who I met in Darwin. We were on the same trip to Kakadu. That was funny! We talked about an hour and she said about 3 times:”If I can do something for you, just tell me!”. So I replied:”Actually, yes, there is something… Can I do my washing at your place?”. That was great: she invited me for doing the washing and a cup of tea in the Saturday afternoon! I went there with my whole backpack and her garden was FULL of my clothes!!!:)



On Saturday morning I went to the world-famous ‘Salamanca market’ in Hobart. On Sunday, I wanted to climb up Mount Wellington. Hobart is situated on the foot of that Mount. I helped out a French couple in the bus (they had some communication problems with the bus driver) and that was how I got to know 2 nice French from Lyon. They moved to New Caledonia (Nouvelle Caledonie) 3 years ago. They wanted to climb the same mountain. In the bus was another girl from the Netherlands. The only one who was prepared very well cause she had a map with her.:) So we decided to climb that Mount together. It was a tough walk with a lot of beautiful view over Hobart. And just 5 minutes before arriving on the top, it started to snow!!! Those French were very excited about that cause they hadn’t seen snow in 3 years. I found it ‘freezing’… On the top were plenty of people totally relaxed, because they had driven in the car up the mountain… We were climbing for 2 hours and arrived there totally red and sweating!!! But we were the tough ones!!! We had picknick on the top and in the evening, we decided to have dinner together! Really great day.



On Monday, I went to Wineglass Bay on Tassie’s Eastcoast. On Tuesday, I did another day trip to Mount Field national park… To see more snow and some typical Tasmanian animals like the Tasmanian devils and Wombats. In the evening, I wanted to burn a CD and who did I meet in the internet pub? Richard, a Welsh guy who was working in the same department in Sydney as me! He and his wife asked me to go for a beer… In the pub, there was another guy, Shaun, from the England who I met on my trip and stayed in the same dorm as me.He joined us. 1 beer became 10 beers for Richard and Shaun and 6 for me. Result: Richard and Shaun were totally fine and I was half drunk. Bloody UK people!:) But it was a great night.:)



Yesterday, I visited Port Arthur, one of world most famous prisons in the world… Really impressive. Port Arthur is situated on a peninsula and for instance the corridor with the mainland was controlled by a ‘dog line’: about 25 dogs were put in a line so not a single prisoner could pass by. No wonder that in about 50 years, only 10 prisoners managed to escape from that hell! Moreover the bus driver was a very funny man, who happened to know a lot about… Belgium. He knew more than the bloody clichés like Belgian chocolates and beers. He knew for instance the name of our King, that ‘French fries’ were invented in Belgium, and that Plastic Bertrand (who had a number 1 song in Australia) was Belgian, not French. I found that quite impressive. But Shaun, who was on this trip a few days before, told me in the evening that he must see the list of participants the evening before and has a ‘list of interesting things’ per country. That is how he prepares his journeys. Can be true… Whatever, it was a funny broke!:)



I am enjoying my last day in Tasmania…



Take care, Ruben

No comments: